Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Advice from people who grind their dog's nails about which grinder to purchase?

My dog has all black nails, so I want to get a nail grinder, but I know nothing about them, and I want to make an informed choice.





Looking in catalogs, I see Oster, Dremel, PediPaws, Pet Edge, etc. with various speeds and grinding stones and sanding bands of different grits and various accessories...some run by batteries or battery charge, some use an electric cord...what's important? what isn't?





What brand grinder do you have, do you like it or not, what can you tell me about it, and where did you get yours? Thank you so much for helping me out!Advice from people who grind their dog's nails about which grinder to purchase?
I would suggest either the Oster brand or dremel for grinding. You use only the sanding drums on the nails - coarse %26amp; fine. The other stuff is good if you do other home projects or crafts with the dremel but has nothing to do with dogs so that part is up to you. Same as buying cordless or or corded that is your preference %26amp; how easy your dog is to do. The corded ones last the longest %26amp; unless you need it to be portable(shows) or doing other projects, you can use it with no problem. Right now I am using a dremel which I had for several years w/o any problems.Advice from people who grind their dog's nails about which grinder to purchase?
I have a Pedipaws, and use it with all my small dogs.


I like it a lot, although you do have to teach the dog to accept the sound, and the smell.


But I have seen many people say that they tried it and it is too slow, or not powerful enough for big dogs nails (my big dogs wear their nails down, and dont require trimming).


So...if you have a big dog, you might want to go for a Dremel.


(The Pedipaws has a nail guard which prevents hair getting caught, and which catches the debris, but a Dremel does not )
I also have dogs with black nails. I own a dremel that I bought at the hardware store. just make sure whatever you purchase to grind your dogs nails that you just grind off the tips and hold it on for a couple seconds then off for a few seconds(if continuously grinding their nail gets hot)
You may have a hard time getting your dog to hold still for a nail grinder if you haven't been doing it since your dog was a puppy.
well we tried pedi paws...it didnt work good i do know that dremel worked the best....cordless would be good and a battery charge too..
Dremel is what I use which can be used for other things around the house/garage.





Mine is battery operated. I use the emery-board-like sander tip. Called a drum possibly.





I don't think I'd want us both tangled up in an electrical cord. Also you may want to use it sometime out in the yard during the summer.





Both my German Shepherds once they got acquainted with the whirr and that there was no pain, fell asleep as I filed away. Nails can be beveled with it and not blunt cut like clippers do but more like our nails look after a manicure.





the big hardware stores have several models. It comes with a battery charger and many types, sizes and shapes of tips. It has a carrying case with compartments that everything will fit into. Mine cost approximately $44. It isn't the lowest or the highest end Dremel.





I love it. No more hassles with all those feet and a zillon toes.
Don't waste your money on a PediPaws or PediCure. They lack power and the guard is a pain in the a$$.





The Oster is actually the same thing as a Dremel. Dremel makes it and Oster just puts their name on it and calls it a nail grinder.





I use a Dremel that I got at Ace Hardware. It is cordless/rechargeable. These are better because the on/off switch is located in a better spot to reach and you don't have to worry about a cord. They are also quieter than the corded variety. I've used such a grinder for about 25 years or so. (not the same one -- I have a tendency to drop them, which doesn't do them much good!)





As someone else mentioned, you need to accustom you dog to having his nails ground. You will *never* get him to actually like it (!) but he can learn to tolerate it. Take it gradually. Just turn it on for a few seconds near the dog and give him a treat. Make sure he is comfortable with having his feet handled (in general). It may be good to have someone help you with this -- one person to do the grinding and the other one to distract the dog and/or give him treats.





If your dog has hairy legs or feet, it can be helpful to stick the dog's leg in a knee-high stocking with just the nails sticking out. That way you won't catch the hair in the grinder.





Oh, and I use the sanding wheel with a medium grit.

No comments:

Post a Comment