Friday, April 30, 2010

Need advice from people with pregant cats and kittens?

What would convince you to have your cat spayed or neutered? I really need to know so we can figure out some way to stop having to kill all these animals. The pound I went to yesterday had 300 cat and kittens. Maybe 15 of them will find homes and the rest will die because there are no homes for them. So I'd like to know what it is that causes people not to have their pets fixed and what we could do to change your mind. What reasons do you have for not doing it? I'd love suggestions from you. Thanks.Need advice from people with pregant cats and kittens?
I think the problem is lack of knowledge. I have a 3 year old female cat whom I allowed to have one litter. I checked that we had homes for at least 4 kittens before we allowed her to get pregant. She had 3 kittens and each were housed with a friend who was thrilled with them. Until recently, I didn't even realise that there were hundreds of cats in rescue centres needing homes. perhaps I am particularly ignorant, but I don't think so. If I had known this prior to allowing my cat to get pregant then it would have definately changed my mind and I would have had her spayed prior to her litter.Need advice from people with pregant cats and kittens?
I've always had my cats ';fixed'; and I think it's because I adopted them from shelters and was faced with having to recognize that there were several cats that were going to have to be put down because ';no one wanted them';. I think if people saw Animal Planet's ';Animal Cops'; show they would definitely change their mind about neutering and spaying. Maybe if people didn't just give away unwanted kittens and perpetuate the idea that animals can just be gotten rid of, that might help.
i have my pets say if thay like to be a mom or not i pay someone to do that for me my cat have kittys 2 times a yaer i find homes for all of my kittys my cat had 17 kittys in 2006 and had 15 kittys in 2007 my cat just had 14 kittys 4 days a go my dog will have puppys when she is older
There really is no EXCUSE for not spaying/neutering! Here is a link. It can be done for FREE!


http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Pra鈥?/a>


Come on people, have a heart for all these poor cats and kittens in shelters around the world! If you really have a heart and if you really are a cat lover, you will do the right thing. Please check out the link and do the right thing. Help stop the overpopulation of cats and give the cats in shelters a chance at life and love like they deserve!
I agree but it comes down to cost for alot of people. We have a Mobile Unit from time to time that stops throughout the City but then again it boils down to money and transportation. It is a real problem in every City. It's very sad. Perhaps it should be taught in their Health class.It is a health problem. The ';No Kill'; Shelters just can't keep up at this rate.
I have fixed all my dogs and cats the last 20 years. And I agree with you , its very SAD! Some people are Morons, I had a neighbor who loved kittens. But when they grew up they hated them, or they became Ferrel. Turn people in I did!
This site gives some FREE spay/neuter clinics %26amp; info, there are also low income programs, and other low cost spay/neuter clinics in most areas. You just have to do a little research %26amp; investigating to find them.


www.myspace.com/Christiangrassa
I decided to let my cat have kittens, for the fact that she was already pregnant when i took her to the vet and could not have my cat go throught the abortion stage, too much stress and confusion for the cats body...... i would never give my animals to the pound just for that simple fact... Its sad that it happens and there is a over population of cats, just because its so expensive to get the damb thing fixed! many people who get animals dont relize that its a big pain in the @$$ but in the long run it is very much worth it! I never had a reason for not getting her fixed i actually thought that it was time and she wasnt even a year old and she had her kittins! I will be getting her fixed asa the kittens are gone but your concern is also one of my own!
Its so sad that people these days only think of themselves and they maybe buy a cat or dog for their kid to make them happy at Christmas or on a birthday, but like an old used toy gets put aside...unfortunately these animals do as well when the newness wears off. Unfortunately because the majority of the parents that purchase these animals aren't educated in how to care for them, these animals end up not getting all their shots and more than often aren't spayed/neutered simply because the owners don't care. The animal was a gift to the kid to get them to stop nagging them. Unfortunately because of these parents and their bad decision making skills and poor examples that they have set for their children...not only that one poor pet goes unloved (or possibly killed) but so do several others (all that animals offspring) not to mention...once those kids grow up and have kids of their own...whats to stop them from being the same lousy example to their children as their parents where to them....I swear people if you don't do anything else in your life right...at least spay or neuter your pets. It doesn't cost much, maybe $50 for a female to be spayed and $25 for a male to be neutered. Check out clinics put on by your local humane society or ASPCA if your vet charges too much. In my honest opinion - people should not own pets if they aren't able to afford their medical treatments.





How's that Pretty Kitty? Did I take the words right out of your mouth. I hope it does some good.
It all comes down to education really. So, I really do think that pet care and responsible ownership should be introduced into the schooling syllabus of life skills. It's amazing how many people are still of the old vanguard that it's best we let kitty have one litter before neutering for her health and best let tom sire a few litters first so he feels like a man before he loses it.





Is there some way that shelters could create an online presence through a website and have weekly updated photos and little snippet stories about each kitten or litter to attract new potential owners. It would throw a larger net for more potential owners for definite. That is how I have attracted a lot of potential kitten owners, then through word of mouth secondly. These sites that allow you to advertize your cat or kitten sale for free is ok, but it's much better when you have your own online presence if you run a shelter, boarding cattery or above board registered breeder.





I also think that governmental bodies, be it local or central, should take a more active role in funding visitations by shelter workers with some vetted and friendly cats/kittens or dogs/puppies to junior %26amp; high schools, colleges and universities to educate first hand what happens in the real world to pets.





Good point to bring up!!!





Info on help for low income and vouchers for spay/neuter -





http://spayusa.org/main_directory/03-pro鈥?/a>





http://spayusa.org/main_directory/03-pro鈥?/a>





http://neuterspay.org/nationwide_spay_ne鈥?/a>





http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.ht鈥?/a>





UK spay/neuter help programmes -





http://www.cats.org.uk/





http://www.bedfordcatsprotection.org.uk/鈥?/a>





http://www.pdsa.org.uk/topicofthemonth_3鈥?/a>





http://www.cats.org.uk/workwedo/neuterin鈥?/a>
The reason that I am going to convince my great-grandma to get her cat fixed is because I am such a major cat lover that although they are the CUTEST thing, I would much rather have a heathly cat then a sick cat with 4 dying kittens.


I just got the one I wanted today but I came home with 2! Hehe! When the mom cat found out that 2 of her kittens were gone, she took one off somewhere--we have NO idea where--and there is one that is ALL alone.


It makes me SOOO sad just to think of poor little Tiger all alone on the porch steps of someone's house and then that person not having a heart and then it dying.


I am crying now! :((!


Oh well, I pray that God will take care of her.





Hope I helped.
Pretty Kitty, it's interesting that with the constant barrage of questions here from people with pregnant cats and kittens, not one has answered your question (except for the illiterate post from ';dog'; which I assume is a troll).


Money does not usually have to be an issue with spay/neuter, as there are low-cost clinics all over. The closest one in my area is an hour away, which I can see would be inconvenient for some people, but if you realize you can't get your cat fixed you should hold off getting one until you can.


I can understand those who take in a pregnant stray and opt to let her have the kittens because they're opposed to feline ';abortions'; (I personally would rather see pregnant cats spayed than see already born cats killed, but that's just me), but those who just don't bother to get it done for whatever stupid excuse are irresponsible and cruel.
I havea suggestion that I was going to put on my answer to your other question.





Maybe you could get students to volunteer to make and distribute leaflets? I know the art students especially would like to make something with their name on it, especially if they need a project to put in their portfolio. You could even make information packages yourself. I'm in the UK and planning on doing this here, maybe it's a nice idea for you over there too? Something to REALLY get the word out.





If not, how about filming at the shelter - something shocking, but not gross or extremely upsetting - and sticking it up on YouTube to raise awareness for everyone who sees it? Make an account. Maybe follow the lives of kittens in the shelter.. it would be pretty upsetting though, obviously. And if it's too upsetting, people wouldn't watch it. It would have to be very careful.





Expense is also a problem, along with lack of knowledge - not because it's too high a price, but because people think they deserve nights out more than their pets deserve to be safe. I have no idea how to combat this one. Maybe once people know the dangers, and know poor cats are getting killed and haveno where to live, they may rethink whether they really need that weekend break to the seaside?





As I said, the expense thing never made sense to me - I've neverhad a problem with the money to get my cats fixed. I can't see into the mindset of someone who would get a cat not knowing how theyre gonna pay fees.





If they want cute little animals running around, without much responsibility on the fees side - they should foster. People usually get kittens for their children on a whim, not knowing what they're gonna have to pay for. Reality check people: Kids get bored of animals at young ages. if your child likes cats and kittens, foster some. That way, your child will get to play with alot of kittens, and when they get bored *bam* you get a new foster family to look after, and the kids happy again. Oh look! We have a ginger tabby family this time! The other family were black and white!





I'm going to stop now. I'm starting to feel bitter and I'm going to look mean.





EDIT: I've just been thinking about different mediums - is there a suitable newspaper you can get in contact with, maybe do a feature or even a bi-monthly article? Newspapers pounce on stories of 'poor, cute little animals' because they know it tugs on readers heartstrings, and at the same time, people could read and gain knowledge?





Might think of doing that myself... You can put in pictures and all sorts. If you get the chance to do an article, maybe do it from the cats point of view?
I cannot think of one good reason NOT to have my cat spayed or neutered. Spaying prevents unwanted litters that end up in the pound or stray. Spreading disease that can spread to other cats. If spaying a cat before a litter is born it will prevent mammary gland cancer. The female cat will not roam at hunt for a male and the behavior is more acceptable to an owner.


Neutering prevents roaming, fighting and injury caused by this behavior. It prevents testicular cancer as well as prostate cancer. It also prevents males from impregnating the female causing unwanted and uncared for litters. Public service announcements help but cities need to get more involved, by sending letters to residents about the proper care of animals. Door to door volunteers would also make an impact just by talking with pet owners face to face. Many people don't feel that they can afford the spaying or neutering. The cost must be more reasonable for lower income individuals.


And of course, there are those who believe that a pet is a pet and it is unnecessary to spend extra money toward the pets welfare as they can be replaced. This is ignorance and programs are need to enlighten these people.


Hopefully, this situation will change someday but I don't think that it will happen soon as it is not looked at as a priority to many individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment