Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm very confused, need some useful advice from people wo actually know what they're talking about...........

Ok,so here's what happened: Back in December I had this car accident in which my car got totaled %26amp; my mom is convinced that this happened because I don't read the Bible or pray as much as I should %26amp; because one day I didn't go to Bible study because I had some homework to finish, %26amp; since I'd decided not to go, I stayed a little while after I got off work at my college to talk to my friend (future boyfriend), plus I wasn't really ready to come home yet %26amp; I like to socialize a bit after I get off work. Also, when I started driving I didn't go to Bible study as much because most of the time I just wanted to stay home %26amp; relax, %26amp; she thinks this is also a reason why my car got wrecked. So, I ended up getting another car like a month ago %26amp; I just had another accident (not too bad) yesterday. Now she's saying that if I had prayed %26amp; read more, this wouldn't have happened. I dont know what she's trying to say, but it almost sounds as if shes saying bad things wont happen just because you do thaI'm very confused, need some useful advice from people wo actually know what they're talking about...........
Stop paying attention to your mom and start paying attention to your driving.





I'm a 46 year old atheist. I've been driving since I was 16: 30 years. Zero accidents.I'm very confused, need some useful advice from people wo actually know what they're talking about...........
Oh, she's right. And as proof : people who read the bible more than you are *never* involved in any kind of accident whatsoever.





Oh, come on! What a childish belief! A bad thing happened because a spirit did not approve of your actions!





This is the same kind of thinking that got virgins sacrificed to the gods a few thousand years ago.





Also: What a petty, vindictive god!








Nobody can prove any gods, much less a specific god, exist; many people will tell you their god exists but no others, but will never be able to prove it, even if they think so. Some will threaten you with eternal pain or promise eternal joy to get you to believe in their god; these are all stories, created for people who were scared long before we understood the universe. Now we have no more reason for these superstitions.





How terrible the bible in particular is:


http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/


http://www.evilbible.com/





What's the origin of the Jesus stories?


http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jc鈥?/a>


http://www.near-death.com/experiences/or鈥?/a>


http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/jesu鈥?/a>





How silly and horrible religion in general is:


http://godisimaginary.com/


http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/





The alternative:


http://www.religioustolerance.org/


http://www.infidels.org/


http://www.positiveatheism.org/


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_U鈥?/a>


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_hum鈥?/a>








Read The God Delusion, understand religion, and be freed from it forever. Email me if you don't have a copy handy.
What she is saying is that god is sitting up there and since it is thursday he is bored and decides that he needs to create havoc in some ones life or he is p*ssed at some one and has to kill some one in their family. If you think god is that petty and petulant then go to bible study class, but I will guarantee you that you are in a bible regurgitation class not a bible study class.
I agree with member ';Yummygood'; on this question.
Your mom believes in a god who says - ';love me and I'll take care of you - don't love me and I'll smear you all over the highway';. Sounds like a pretty evil god to me. Actually, it kind'a sounds like the devil.





BTW - Learn to drive better !!!
If this was me, I would also consider the possibility that part of me had internalized my mom's opinions. Like, I would wonder about whether I had any little bit of guilt somewhere -- even if I ';know better'; -- about not doing as much the things she thinks I should.





Things like that do happen. I'm a counselor and I once had a client who was phobic about driving his car after he'd been in a little accident. Talking about it, we realized he had his accident on the very same day his sister had died in a car wreck the year before, which he had never really gotten over. So, sometimes there can be less-than-conscious influences on our driving.





I'm not saying that's the case at all for you at all, but, like I say, if it was me, it's one thing I'd think about. And I'd try and be honest with myself as much as possible to learn how I truly feel about going to Bible study less often these days. Almost like I know I am becoming my own person and everything, but some part of me perhaps isn't totally sure yet about standing on my own feet in my beliefs and in how I actually wish my own life to be.
I am so sorry about your car. Here's how I see it. If you love God, and it sounds like you do, you know the verse that says all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. I don't think God punishes us for missing a bible study. However, if your life has been becomng too busy to include Him, then he might just take something away to get your attention. He will try to get your attention in many ways. Have you seen that in your life? He may be trying to teach you some lesson too. The good thing about this verse is that whatever he takes away will be replaced with something better. I don't know what that is for you, but if He has your attention then ask in prayer what He wants of you. God loves you so much that he wants a really heartfelt relationship with you. It's ok to ask Him the question of why. He is big enough to handle it. Hope this helps.
I've been driving for 10 years and I haven't even had a ticket let alone total a car. I don't worship God. My sister on the other hand does, and she has had at least a fender bender in every car she ever owned. Just a way for your mom to try and force you to worship God more.
Hey, there is no God as far as I can see but plenty of bad stuff happens to people who through blind faith alone believe there is a God ...think about this. I am atheist.
Sweetie have you ever heard the phrase ';it rains on the just as well as the unjust';? Bad things happen to all of us, not because of a lack of faith prayer or anything else, sometimes it can even seem like the wicked prosper and the just get punished. It is just non sense to believe that God is punishing you for not going to a bible study, or praying enough etc etc etc.. God does allow things to happen for reasons, sometimes it is to open our eyes, sometimes it is to correct us, but sometimes things happen to later on down the road bring about a blessing...take for instance Joseph..he was sold into slavery by his brothers, he was put into prison because of false accusations, but he ended up being second in command in Egypt because his circumstances led him there and his whole family was saved from a famine, not only his whole family but the entire nation of Israel, What Satan has meant for our destruction God can use for our good. Remember to always back up what you believe with the word of God.
it is impossible to be sure what would or would not have happened if you had done things differently. remember God loves you and you never know these could have been some sort of warning.
That's ridiculous. Sounds like a really compassionate God your mother worships. Don't believe any of that BS.
S**t happens, you need to think more about driving is all. Slow down, pay attention.
GOD is not a revengeful GOD. He is not out to get you because you don't pray the way your are supposed to or read the Bible the way you should or didn't go to Bible study the way your mom said you should. God understands that you also need time with your friends. none of these things that you mentioned in your questions have anything to do with your accidents. you probably just need to watch your driving a little more carefully. sounds to me like your mother is a religious fanatic and expects you to be one to. honour your mother the best you can but realize that you are not your mom and need some yourself time every once in awhile.
Your mother is basically saying bad things happen to you bacause you deserve it. Next time something horrible happens to her, you could do the same thing! But you should be the bigger person and just ignore it
Have to agree wit her u were @ the wrong place @ the wrong time
.Without knowing all the facts you sound like a bad driver, or god is a bad copilot.
Ecclesiates 9:11 - '; . . . because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.';





You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.
No disrespect to your mom because I'm sure she means well, but she is wrong. Your accidents happened because you, or another driver, were careless. Or icy roads or whatever. Bad things happen. However, she is right that you should be faithful to attend Bible study and to pray. I doubt you have Bible study every evening, so seriously, can't you do your relaxing and socializing on all those other evenings? I also understand what she means when she says thats why these accidents happened---I think what she's trying to convey to you is that God does offer protection and guidance to those who invite His intercession into their lives and who are faithful to Him. It is not a guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen, but that His hand will be in every situation in which you find yourself. It's called walking with God daily, and not because you are required to by someone else (aka mom), but because you trust in Him and want to walk in the path He has planned out for your life. Make sense? I hope so.
Bad things will still happen, in fact sometimes more so when your trying to get closer to God, Satin do mess with people he already has he will mess with you to try and discourage your faith, I don't believe in trying to cause conflict with you parents but I don't agree with you mother, I do believe she most likely thinks she is telling you right. My suggestion may be to get you Bible and show her where there were many people in there that were very close to God and still had very bad things happen to them.
She is right and wrong. The concept that God blesses and protects those who walk with Him is true. But He also allows bad to happen to them at times for our education and testing. Your mother know the basic truth but she is not God to know whether that was definitely the case with your car accidents. Sometimes parents overstep their grounds.
Your mom is sadly mistaken.
ROTFLMAO


Ok stop. Before you drive yourself crazy. I wrecked a car 3 times in one year and I wasn't doing anything different then I am now. I haven't been in a wreck in almost a decade.
Man...your mom is deluded. Don't get me wrong I think you need some drivers ed and maybe you need to be a little more careful but why the heck would god punish you for not praying whereas I am an atheist and have never been in an accident or even had any serious injuries or tradegy. Maybe God is kinda like the T-Rex in jurrasic park. He can only see you if you believe in him.
The problem is either you're having a streak of bad luck (its all chance)... or you're just a bad driver! Maybe you should concentrate on the road more.





Don't let your mom put superstition in your head... even if God was real, that's not how Christians believe he works.
Greetings,





Well it sounds like your mother is very religious, but there is a big difference between being religious and having faith. Everyone's spiritual journey is unique and yet the same in regards to God. In other words it's between you and him. As for your mother, it sounds like the truth is she feels like she is losing control over you and attempting to guilt trip you into doing what she wants you to do. As for the car accidents, perhaps in all truthfulness Satan wants to get to you, but it's important that everyone speaks to God and communicates with God in their own way. I will set the record straight as a disciple of Jesus Christ. Bible study, church and any institution does not bring anyone closer to God. Only the individual seeking and praying to God finds God. So yes, your mother is full of it I think it's probably what I already mentioned in regards to her. However, I would not stop praying and talking to God on your own. Goodluck!
Instead of sunday school, driving school would be the better option. Your Mom has taken this religion thing to extremes, if she thinks that God would be so petty as to cause you an accident because you didn't show up to church. Oh wait, the God of the Bible IS that petty.... well, sorry I can't help!
Err....I am an atheist and I haven't crashed in 23 years. Ask how that fits in.
Your mom sounds very manipulative, I'm sorry.
Yes, god is letting millions die in africa of starvation and disease but if you don't pray enough he wrecks your car. Does that sound sane?

No comments:

Post a Comment